19.8.14

Books I've Been Told I MUST Read

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week a new topic is selected in advance and participating bloggers must make a list in regards to the topic!

This weeks Top Ten Tuesday isn't really a top ten anything. I've only been able to come up with seven books! There may be others, but none that immediately come to mind. I wanted to only include books that I have seen recommended countless times and I want to read eventually. This eliminates plenty of books that, while they have rave reviews and are recommended a lot, I just am not interested in. These are books that trusted bloggers seem to really love, and I have the full intention of reading them eventually!


Everything Lead to You by Nina La Cour - I've heard nothing but good things about this book! The protagonist is a young lesbian who is passionate about set designing. At least that's what I've gathered from reviews. One of the aspects of the book that I look forward to the most is the protagonists passion about set designing. From what I've read in reviews it really jumps off the page and you can feel how passionate she is.

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - Does this one need any explanation? I adore the show! This book has been lauded time and again and I really need to get in on that. I don't know if I'd be actually that interested in reading it once I started though. I hate knowing what happens in books, I can't even look a page ahead for fear of spoilers that will ruin my enjoyment of the book. From the show I know so much! I know that the show doesn't show everything though. But, though I hate spoilers for books, I quite like them for TV shows! I've read everything I possibly can on wikipedia and other websites about the books so I know what to expect from the show.

Open Road Summer by Emery Lord - The cover alone has me interested in this one! I've been interested in this book since I first heard of it. It sounds fun! But I just never got around to buying it and reading it. Then all of the reviews started coming in. I expected pretty good reviews, but from the sample of reviews I've read, this is apparently an amazing book! Apparently it took a lot of people by surprise and blew them away so hopefully it will do the same for me!

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - I thought this one sounded good enough, but after seeing Nikki mention it a million times I know I have to get to it eventually.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - This is another one that I see Nikki rave about constantly. Everytime she posts a tweet about it I get more excited to read it! But the book itself is quite chunky and a bit daunting. I'll make time in the near future to read it because the suspense is killing me. I need to know what's so great about it!

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski - This seems to be another one that took people by surprise. I still don't really expect it to be quite as good as everyone is raving about though, the hype machine has fooled me too many times for that. But I still love the concept and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Vicious by V. E. Schwab - Apparently when it comes to great books at the moment, Victoria is the one to look out for! I haven't read any of her books yet. When I first heard of Vicious it wasn't really something I was interested in. Even when people started to rave about it I wasn't that interested. But over time, twitter and other bloggers have managed to convince me that I really need to give this one a shot.

Have you read any of the books on this list? Would you recommend them? What other books would you say I absolutely have to read?

13 comments:

  1. A game of Thrones is huge and intimidating, but it's such a detailed story :) I think I prefer the show, but the books are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Game of Thrones is awesome! I'm trying to find time to start book four because I really really want to know what happens next. I actually have only seen clips from the show, but I hope to read all of the books and then use the show to recap me for when The Winds of Winter comes out! Open Road Summer looks so good and I've heard amazing things about it! Mistborn is on my list too! And The Winner's Curse is SUCH an amazing book! I definitely recommend you check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one thing to say....OPEN ROAD SUMMER for the win! That is all! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On your list, I've only read Open Road Summer and I really enjoyed it :) I have The Winner's Curse and Vicious on my list too!!

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Everything Leads To You is going to be good :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these either but Open Road Summer sounds good!


    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks! So many of these are on my wishlist and I'd love to get to them at some point!

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/top-ten-tuesday-books-people-tell-me-i-have-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes, you need to read Open Road Summer! It was a very lovely book and perfect for summer, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard great praise for Open Road Summer and The Game of Thrones.
    Unfortunately, I've not read any of the mentioned books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to read The Winner's Curse- it's amazing!! I keep hearing great things about Vicious, I need to give it a try. And I haven't read a Games of Thrones series too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Winner's Curse. Read. Now.

    ...have you read it yet?

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brandon Sanderson books are a MUST read!!! Once you read one of his works you can never seem to stop. His excellent world building and unique magic system are popular amongst the ones who have read his books. I totally recommend The Final Empire if you are a hardcore fan of epic fantasy fiction, and if you aren't...well...you still have to give it a try at least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to have the time to read The Game of Thrones books. Heck, I don't even have time to watch the series. I saw the first season, and that was it. My sister hates it because she can't talk to me about it.

    ReplyDelete