12.8.14

Books I'm Not Sure I Still Want to Read

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week a new topic is selected in advance and participating bloggers must make a list in regards to the topic!

It was far too easy finding the following books for this weeks topic. I really have to wonder if I'll ever manage to read any of them! The books I chose are a mixture of books I own but have not yet read and books that I added to my Goodreads TBR with the hopes of reading them but I've just lost interest.



Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige - I wanted to read this one because I thought it sounded interesting enough. I've never been a huge Wizard of Oz fan but I still thought this could be an interesting read. Plus I really liked the simplicity of the cover! But then I found out it was a Full Fathom Five book. That immediately made me turn off the book. There's also the fact that it got quite negative reviews from some bloggers I trust. All of this makes me not want to read the book, but it still has the interesting concept which draws me back.

Eve by Anna Carey - I bought this book years ago when it first came out and immediately dove straight in. Straight away I got a turn off the writing and thought it was very simple. In the first few chapters everything just seems to go right for the protagonist when it shouldn't, if that makes any sense. But now that all of the books are out I'm thinking of possibly giving this book another chance.

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - I absolutely love the TV show and that's what has me interested in reading the books. If the TV show is that good, can you imagine how amazing the books must be?!? But it's a huge commitment to read such a long series with each book being a hefty read itself. I think for this one I may wait until the series has been finished. I know I have quite some time before that will happen, but I'm in no rush!
Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau - I read the first book and thought it was okay enough. Nothing earth shattering, but an okay-ish dystopian all round. But I've seen quite a few trusted bloggers who love the series. So I think I may give this one a go one of the days, though if I do, it won't be anytime soon!

The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow - I ordered this one as soon as it came out. I was in the mood for this exact type of book at the time but by the time it arrived I just wasn't feeling it. I only managed to read a page or two, not because of the book itself but because I just wasn't in the mood for that genre. I hope I get back in the mood, but I just don't know if I will. The curse of the mood reader!

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - I started this one after I saw how popular the series was with everyone waiting for the final book in the trilogy. But as soon as I started reading it, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I thought the writing was very pretentious and trying very hard to aim for prose. It just wasn't for me. But with the series being so popular, and a very famous chapter I'd love to read, I don't know whether to stick it out for a bit longer to see what all of the hype is.

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff - I was so excited to read this one! I thought it had an amazing concept and sounded so fun but then I found out it was steampunk, or at least had steampunk elements. I despise steampunk! There are very few genres I hate more. It just isn't a genre I enjoy reading, I really find it a struggle. But this book sounds so great! I'm really up in the air about whether to read this one or not!

Toxic Heart by Theo Lawrence - I read the first book in this series and this was another one that I thought was solidly okay-ish. There was nothing particularly great about it but I hope the next book in the series will improve on it. However I don't know if I'l ever get to it, as I have far too many books I think will be amazing to spend time on a book that I don't have high expectations of.

Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts - The cover got me so excited for this one and I love a good apocalypse book. But then bad reviews started appearing around the blogosphere and it really turned me off the book. I read a few pages but then gave up. Looking back I think it was the reviews that turned me oof more than the actual few pages I read. 

Have you read any of the books I mentioned? Do you think I should read them immediately or give them a miss?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of these points! Most of these have been on my shelves unread for a long time for many of the same reasons. By the way, Game of Thrones is totally worth the commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shatter Me and GOT are on my TBR list. Shatter Me will likely be read much sooner than GOT. The rest, some I've heard of and some not so much. The Diamond Sisters one, the cover always put me off.

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-give-me-indecisive-syndrome/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the books on your list but I am planning to start Shatter Me. Sorry to hear you didn't like it but I think you should definitely read the famous chapter. I can't wait hahaha :)

    Here's my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Eve and the other books in the trilogy, but I know a lot of people just liked the first one. I think that's a problem with a lot of trilogies, which is why a lot more of them should just be standalones.

    ReplyDelete