31.7.14

A Book for Every Occasion!

Do you have a book for every occasion?

I've always been the type of person to read many books at the same time. At any one time I could be reading between five and twelve books. I'm such a mood reader that I can never stick with one book for very long. If I don't finish the book within three days, chances are it will take me months to finish it. I'll read other books and it will take me months to get back to it.

But recently I noticed there was a method to my madness. I was reading books based on how easy they were to read at a certain time. I realised this when I was reading Dreams of Gods and Monsters. This was a huge book and unfortunately I'm the type of person who is easily distracted. If I'm reading a fantasy like DOGAM, then after a few days I'll want to read a contemporary or NA, something along those lines. Usually this isn't a problem as I'm able to finish a book within three days so when the itch comes to change genres, I have no problem. But with DOGAM measuring in at an impressive 613 pages, I wasn't able to finish before the urge to change genres came. So I bought Foreplay by Sophie Jordan to read on my iPad while going back and forth between the two books.

Then I decided that fantasy and NA were great, but I was in the mood for some adult romance. Out came Waiting on You by Kristan Higgins. It was at this stage I realised that each of these books had a certain time when they would come out. I was in the mood to read Foreplay so I was reading that. But then my iPad died! I wasn't in the mood to be sitting beside the wall to read wgiile it charged so I switched to my copy of DOGAM. Later that day after the iPad had charged I was visiting my nanny. This means that I had a 40 minute bus journey and time to kill. What to bring? My incredibly hefty hardcover of DOGAM? Or my expensive iPad which had my copy of Foreplay on it? Out came my tiny little copy of Waiting on You. It was perfect!

It also worked out well that the books content was suited to when I was reading them. With DOGAM I had to have plenty of time to sit down and read a few chapters at a time. I couldn't read a page or two here and there, it just wouldn't work. But carrying around a fun, simple book was perfect for situations where I was going between reading and doing other things. Reading a few short pages at a time didn't get in the way of reading at all.

This went on for about a week and I ended up finishing all of the books in the same two days. This was due to the fact that I always had some sort of book to hand, all which suited the situations.

So I want to know, do you have a book for every occasion? Let me know in the comments below! 

5 comments:

  1. Dana @ The Nerdy Journalist31 July 2014 at 20:54

    When I'm super busy, I try to stick with light, fluffy books (usually contemporary) because I know I won't have time to fully immerse myself in an epic adventure full of world-building. I try to save series for days when I have nothing to do because I know I'll be tempted to binge read the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually read books that I have physical copies of at home since they can be pretty heavy to carry around. Also because I don't want them to get dented or damaged if I take it out of my house haha. If I go out, I always have my kindle with me so that I can read whenever I have some time.

    Eileen @ BookCatPin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't (yet) have a book for every occasion, but it sounds like a GREAT literary bucket list item!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do read more books at the same time and I'm a mood reader, but I don't have a lot of different genres. I just like to read different platforms (e-book/ARC/paperback) and sometimes I'm not feeling the writing-style or the type of story, so I switch to something else :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have a book for some occasions. I usually read books on my tablet that have been on my TBR list on Goodreads for a while (and have a high rating!), when I don't want to start a long book and just want a light, stand-alone. Also I end up reading these books at 11:00 at night ;)

    ReplyDelete