1. The main female protagonist will be extremely shy. This can mean anything from not being comfortable approaching a guy, to preferring to stay in than go out and socialise. A social butterfly, she is definitely not!
2. She will have a somewhat tragic backstory. Are her mother and father dead? Was she raised by her grandparents? Was her father abusive? Was her mother a drug addict? If you answered yes to any of these, you've got the beginnings of an NA novel!
3. The love interest will be strangely overprotective. This love interest believes his girl can not protect herself at all! If a guy so much as looks at her his angry-glarey face comes out. If a guy dares to touch her? Doesn't even bare thinking about because that is when the fists will come busting out!
4. She will have an outgoing friend. Her best friend will have a bubbly personality and is ready to talk to anyone anywhere. Girls? She'll be your best friends in a second! Guys? You'll be drooling after her! Of course all she wants is to help her besty come out of her shell and she'll do this by dressing her up and encouraging her to talk to boys. She is the guru of social interactions!
5. There will be slut-shaming. There will be one or more characters who are completely comfortable with their sexuality and have no problems with going after the man they want! But of course our leading lady will feel nothing but contempt for these girls! Getting all dressed up and going to a bar to have sex with a guy? How dare they?!? Of course the distinction between the "sluts" looking to hook up with guys and the outgoing female friend looking to hook up with guys will never really be made.
6. No man will be able to resist our leading lady.... She may have no clue when it comes to boys, but everywhere she goes there will always be someone who is very into her. They're somehow just drawn to her like a moth to a flame. Hey wouldn't that be nice??
7. ... though she will repeatedly tell us she doesn't give a crap about her looks. The only time she'll look good is when her social butterfly friend decides she absolutely must dress her up. Our girl certainly doesn't care about her clothes or hair. How could she, she's smart! The only people who actually cared about how they look are those ditzes in the bar, those sluts!
All of the above points are simply my opinion and only for entertainment value. I enjoy NA but find some books contain these cliches constantly!