22.2.14

Life of a Blogger: Introvert/Extrovert?

Life of a blogger is a chance for bloggers to get a bit more personal with followers of their blog. It's a chance to talk about things other than books! It's hosted by Jessi at Novel Heartbeat!

I had to think about this weeks topic for a while. Am I an introvert or an extrovert? I did the research, looked up the definitions, and still couldn't tell which one I was. I eventually came to the conclusion that I'm a bit of both!

Depending on the situation I can be either an introvert or an extrovert. On the internet and in the blogging world I can only be categorised as an introvert. I don't really talk to that many people in the blogging community. If I tweet a fellow blogger I always feel uncomfortable and like I'm bothering them. I even have trouble replying to comments on this very blog because I'm afraid I'm going to say the wrong thing. I think this is mainly why I haven't really made many friends in the community. It's hard to make friends when even replying to someone on my blog or twitter feels way out of my comfort zone.

This is pretty much how I feel when I click reply.


In real life, it's a totally different story. I can be both an introvert and an extrovert depending on the situation and my mood. Like a lot of readers, spending a Friday night in reading with a cup of hot chocolate sounds like heaven! But so does getting all dressed up for a night out on the town! I love going out with my friends for a night out for a few drinks, whether that means just going to the pub or going on a wild night out and hitting a few really great nightclubs. One of my favourite things about going out is meeting new people. I'll frequently lose my friends in a nightclub, make new friends for the night and then find my friends later. Talking to complete strangers isn't a problem for me.

I love trying new things and I'm always the one trying to talk my friends into some wild adventure. Sometime in the future I'll have to tell you all about how I talked my friends into going into an illegal after-hours rave in a shuttered Chinese restaurant. Not even close to the wildest thing I've talked my friends into but one of the funniest nights ever! In my group of friends I'm the most likely to talk everyone into going on a last minute trip to Paris or something similar. (I'm currently working on the Paris thing.)

However when I'm a group of people I can be quiet a lot of the time. Not when I'm with my friends, but when I'm in a group of relative strangers (like for a group project that's given at the start of the year i.e. the worst). I find it a lot easier to let other people talk then. But if no-one else is willing to step up then I'm always the one who will do all the talking to get everyone comfortable with each other.

I also don't mind my own company, in fact I love being alone with my thoughts. I have no problem with staying in for the whole weekend with just my Mam in the house for company. I wouldn't do it every weekend, but the odd weekend with just myself is great!

I think in the end, I'm somewhere in between the whole introvert-extrovert thing, which side of me I show just depends on the situation!


Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Let me know in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. I'm an introvert like nearly every time, except when I really want something.


    When there was a book signing recently, I woke up at 7, prepared everything, and I even tried to chat with strangers at the signing. And then I even went and asked if I could join the book blogger conference with the author since there was such a thing, and I really went up to the guy in charge of things and asked.


    I'm not like that when it comes to school. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber (Books of Amber)23 February 2014 10:53

    I'm an introvert in real life until I get to know the person, although since starting work I've definitely come out of my shell a bit more. I still prefer spending time alone to going out with people, and I'm not fond of talking all that much, haha.

    I used to be very shy within the community, and I felt the same way as you on Twitter. I thought I was bothering people if I jumped into conversations! But now I don't worry about that. I've learnt that that's kind of what Twitter is for, and if people didn't want you to reply then they'd make their accounts private. I've found that some people quite like my crazy fangirling!

    I'm looking forward to hearing about this illegal rave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty Little Reader23 February 2014 21:25

    I feel the same way. In some social situations, I can be the centre of attention and it doesn't bother me. I can talk to anyone and everyone, about anything and have a good time! In other social situations, I prefer to be the wallflower. And sometimes I'd prefer my own company, and that of a good book! It's all dependent on what mood I'm in that day, haha


    I'd be very interested to hear the wildest thing you've talked your friends in to doing, since talking them into an illegal rave isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimi @ Geeky Chiquitas25 February 2014 04:15

    Oh I can relate to you a lot! I always talk my friends into doing the craziest things, and they all thing I'm too wild! But I do think I'm more of an introvert though. theoretically I am an extrovert, but I think I lean more towards introversion as even if I enjoy doing wild things I get drained after too much interaction. I agree, it just depends on the situation :)

    New GFC follower!
    My Life of a Blogger post

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny! I'm the opposite way...I'm great with talking to people online and have no problem butting into twitter convos, but when it comes to face-to-face interaction, I clam up! I am adventurous, but I like to take my adventures alone or just with my fiancé. Anymore, I rarely ever want to go out into any kind of social situation. I went bowling last week with my fiancé and a good family friend, and that's the first I've been out (other than a nice dinner with my fiancé) in months! It's kind of sad, really...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm absolutely an introvert. I hate being outside - unless it's to buy new books. I don't even go to tills by myself. It's easier on the internet!

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete