19.1.14

Review: Defy by Sara B. Larson


A lush and gorgeously written debut, packed with action, intrigue, and a thrilling love triangle.

Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?


Title: Defy
Author: Sara B. Larson
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-book
Series: Yes


I have to be honest with you this book just wasn’t for me. I had such high expectation going in! I was expecting a badass heroine, not the girl we got. I was expecting something similar to Tamora Pierce’s Song of the Lioness series. If this is what you are expecting too, don’t bother with this book.

I found myself not liking a single character, all were extremely one dimensional or irritating. The story itself was very slow-paced and I struggled with keeping my attention on it. The story had some potential but this was never realized. The whole book seemed contrived to simply present the love triangle of Alexa, the prince and Rylan, a fellow guard. This was a love triangle that quickly grated on my nerves even more than the usual love triangle.  Both men, of course, knew she was a girl the whole time, though they found out in different ways. Of course since she was a woman it made sense for the only two men she knew, who knew she was a woman to fall in love with her immediately (can you sense the sarcasm?). She immediately decides she has fallen in love as well, out of nowhere with no apparent reason.

For me this was the centre of the entire book and I could barely concentrate on the rest of the story due to the prevalence of the insta-love and love triangles in the book. It distracted me and ruined the whole book. However I can see where there is potential with the concept and can only hope the author will improve in her writing for the next book. I think this book would have been a DNF if not for my high hopes going into reading it and my using it a s a way to procrastinate on studying for an exam! I will stick around and give the next book a go, even if it is just out of sheer curiosity!

I'm sorry to say I can not recommend this book. Maybe others may feel different but for me this book was not enjoyable.


Have you read Defy? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!



Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I hate to say that I have heard SO many bad things about this book. The cover reminds me of the book Graceling, so I initially thought it was just a sequel to that book. I'm disappointed to find out that not only is there a love triangle, but a love triangle that includes insta-love. *head desk* What is it with authors and these insta-love triangles? My tolerance for them is dipping into the negatives... Great review, though. Sorry the book was so disappointing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Sometimes I spend most of my evening on writing posts, reading posts, and writing comments. I'd definitely read more if I didn't blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree! (And it's kind of funny... we spend so much time blogging about books we've read we have less time to read to find more to blog about)


    I think my discover of blogs and tumblr and the entire internet has reduced my reading time severely. I used to read non stop all day every day, but now that doesn't happen becasuse in the morning I'm reading blogs, then I get distracted by tumblr, then I may read a chapter or too before updating goodreads and gets distracted again. Then there's time returning comments, generating content, promoting... It adds up.


    I'm hoping when uni goes back I'll actually start reading more because I browse the internet less and read for study breaks... I also read before bed which helps but haven't been doing that lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS! Definitely agree with this! It's amazing how much time goes by so quickly when you're checking your blog reader. I love reading and commenting on other people's blogs but I do find it really eats into my reading time and then I end up panicking about my TBR! I wish I could find a better balance for it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a system for it now - Tuesdays and Saturdays are when I blog hop, so I post my thing, then click on a blog in the list. After commenting on their hop I check out their other posts by clicking on the bloglovin link (plus I can follow them that way). Then comment on a couple I've read. I used to comment every day but I don't have the time now. Actually that's what I did with yours but I just found quite a few posts I really wanted to read! Usually it's two I think I'm up to five now...

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete