10.1.14

Friday Favourites!


Time for another Friday Favourites! I really have to do these more, I enjoy them so much!

For this edition I've chosen one of my all time favourite series. I try not to mention it too much on the blog, because if I start I'll never stop. Saying that, I've probably already mentioned a few too many times!


The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan includes The Magicians' Guild, The Novice and The High Lord. To be completely honest each book is better than the last. I remember when I first read this book I was probably around 13. It was my first foray into fantasy, excluding Harry Potter of course. I loved it!

One of the things I remember most about getting them is how I got them. I got the first one on a normal trip out shopping with my mam. I finished it within the day! The next day I begged and pleaded with my Grandad the next morning to drive me back to the bookshop so I could get the next book in the series! I devoured the last two books within  the next few days. I distinctly remember beginning to re-read my favourite parts of the series immediately after I finished it, it was that good! 

To this day I still re-read this series a couple of times a year, and for me there can be no higher recommendation than that!

Definitely recommended for fans of The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Both trilogies have very similar storylines. An ordinary girl, lifted up from poverty due to the unexpected release of her powers, leaving behind a boy who cares for her and entering a world of magic! To entice you even more there's even a magician in black robes to keep an eye out for, very similar to the Darkling ;)

If I haven't convinced you to read this series by no then I never will! However if you do decide to read it, I'd love to hear what you think! If you've already read it, let me know what you thought down in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series, but I'm adding it to my "maybe" shelf on Goodreads. I need to look into it when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought The Magician's Guild a couple of weeks ago at my local bookstore since I loved the blurb and knew I had to buy it. But I haven't started it yet. Now that I see you've liked it that much I will have to get to it sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this series is amazing! I picked up Trudi Canvan on a whim at the library one day and just devoured her! (not literally) I have been slowly collecting her books from second-hand places but I really want to buy all her books with pretty matching covers! I haven't read her newest series yet but I really really want to.

    P.S - the end of this series almost killed me! But it was so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this series! But it's probably been 3 or 4 years since I last read it, I think I'm going to have to remedy that very soon.. ;) I'm so glad you loved this series too. Also, Trudi Canavan is an Aussie like me, so that makes her doubly awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete