16.1.14

Does Blogging Take Time Away From Reading?


Do you ever feel like the more you blog, the less you read? Like blogging time is taking away from reading time? Lately I'm wondering if this is the case. I love blogging, it's came to be one of my escapes from the monotony of studying and assignments. But I love reading even more and I'm starting to get worried that I'm reading less due to blogging.

Not just blogging as in posting on my blog, but visiting other blogs and commenting. I really enjoy it and spend probably too much time visiting other blogs. That's where the problems come in. I spend an hour or two visiting blogs, reading amazing posts, commenting with my thoughts and then find I only have time to either write a good blog post I had planned or read a few chapters of my book. Lately I've been choosing writing a new post simply out of a sense of obligation. Like if I haven't posted yet that week then I simply must get the post written and published, waiting to go live a day or two later.

This is definitely getting in the way of reading. I recently took two days away from my computer. I didn't so much as open my laptop, no visiting, no commenting and no posting. During this time this time I got three books and a fourth started. For others that may just be a normal thing, being able to blog and read that much, but it's not normal for me. I couldn't believe it! I started to wonder was I putting too much effort into the world of blogging?

Knowing me, I probably am. When I find something I enjoy doing I can get a bit obsessive. Well a lot obsessive! For me, I know that blogging time is definitely taking away from reading time. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be packing it in anytime soon. I'm simply going to have to find a better balance between everything in my life (like that's ever gonna happen). If you have any tips for keeping your blogging time to a minimum, please god let me know!

Do you ever feel like blogging takes time away from reading, and other aspects of your life? Let me know in the comments below!

Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I'm not a blogger is because of that. I feel like bloggers devote a lot of time and energy into their blogs. It requires passion, dedication, and major commitment. I post reviews on Goodreads and I takes me awhile to do that. That said, I appreciate all that you and the other bloggers do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It does! I don't blog but I visit a lot of blogs. They take up 2-3 hours of my day. But in some ways I am getting some reading done, I mean, I'm reading blogs instead of books. Another bad thing about blogging is seeing all of the books that I want to read and adding them to my TBR list. It just keeps getting longer and longer. I hope you find your balance soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that blogging takes away time, not from reading specifically but from everything. It takes so long to go through each of the blogs and weed out posts I'm interested in and then comment. Plus the posts take a long time to write, for me especially. I don't really worry about perfection but sometimes, I just feel like I have so much to say and I want to say it in a way that's still understandable so I go back and change a lot and it's just a mess and takes so long. And it's intimidating for me to step away from that because I know once I return from my break from blogging, there's just going to be even more stuff for me to sort out and do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it does take time away and No I haven't figured out how to change that! lol. If you find out, let me know:)
    cindi @ mommasez....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki @ The Paper Sea17 January 2014 at 19:53

    I agree! Blogging takes up so much time, with writing posts and blog maintenance and visiting other blogs, that I do feel like I don't have as much time left to read. Maybe we both need to schedule some time in? Maybe choose a day or two a week where we don't touch our computers at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very hard to find that balance! I know I spend way more time blogging than reading. For most of us, it's more than just blogging. I'm like you, I obsess too! Sometimes I just wander my blog, sometimes I just sit and stare. But I'm on it every single day, trying to come up with new exciting posts and ways to make it better (because I'm never satisfied with 'good enough'). Between that and work and fiancé time, I'm lucky to finish two books a week. It makes me very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are we the same person? :) I just started blogging in December. Before then I was a total lurker. I liked to peruse through Goodreads- for books, reviews, cool people. I was reading about 2-3 books a week. Now, after blogging, commenting on other book blogs, finding my favorites, and school I have read only a handful of books in the past month and a half and some of them were novellas. Ugh!


    I guess I need a better schedule. I decided to go back to school to get a second degree-it's all online so I have to be on my laptop. It's really dragging me down. I always have to check my mail, Facebook, the blog, other blogs, and then it snowballs. I really wish I could stay away from technology for a longer period. I really hate it sometimes!


    Anyway, sorry for the rant. Great post! I've been thinking about all of this lately!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great discussion and I have to agree! I probably spend way too much time blogging and that does take away time that I could be reading, especially since commenting and visiting other blogs can take up quite a bit of time. I love blogging and reading and it can be hard to choose between the two at times. I usually take a break after I've done all of my commenting and reward my self with some much needed reading time =)

    ReplyDelete