19.9.13

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?


Title: Crown of Midnight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Series: Yes
Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


The second instalment of this series begins with Celaena undertaking her new job as King’s Champion by assassinating those who have earned the King’s displeasure. Through this she comes into contact with some people from her past. I would definitely recommend reading the e-novellas before reading this, just to meet anyone who appears in this book. I didn’t read them until I had finished this book and it really felt like I was reading a series backwards, spoiling all the characters I met in Crown of Midnight but should have met in the novellas.


My favourite character, understandably, is Celaena. Sarah J Maas has written a perfect character in my opinion. Celaena is perfect in her imperfections. She is a kick-ass assassin that could hold her own in a fight with any man in this series, but still manages to be a shopaholic like an average teenager. When I am reading these books I always feel like Celaena could be a friend with mine. A character I can connect with as much as I can with Celaena is a rare thing! I love how she made mistakes in many ways, such as judging too harshly in some situations and letting her anger get the better of her. She is a fully fleshed out character that is utterly lovable even as you plead with her in your head not to do certain things or say certain things.

(This review seems far too vague but it’s either this or a spoilerific review!)


Chaol, Celaena’s love interest (unless of course you’re a Dorian fan, in which case you couldn’t be more wrong! Team Chaol all the way!) becomes a lot becomes a much more fleshed out character in this  book, something which added quite a bit to the story over all.

There were no other characters featured heavily. Nehemia was again present but not much was developed from her personality in the previous book. Dorian was, of course, present again and there were a few scenes from his perspective. I have to admit that I really enjoyed these. Even though I’m a Chaol fan, seeing how much Dorian truly loved Celaena was lovely. For anybody who hasn’t read this yet, there will be a big surprise for Dorian in the course of the book!

There were no primary characters I actively disliked, though there were a few secondary characters. The King of course begs to be hated, along with Roland, a new character to the book in the form of Dorian’s cousin. Another new character I could not stand was Archer. He was a part of Celaena’s latest assignment from the king and every time he was on the page he annoyed me. I felt justified in this by the end of the book, which you’ll find out about!

The actual romance in the book was tooth-achingly sweet in the best way possible. The romance felt very natural and wasn’t forced at all. One of my pet peeves is insta-love, and no one can accuse this romance of being an insta-love. There is of course a bit of a love triangle, though I wouldn’t consider it a turn off for the book as it is very clear who Celaena prefers!


I have only praise for Maas’ writing style which flowed really well. I hate descriptions that last pages and Maas managed to describe everything perfectly without resorting to this. I would fully recommend this book which is far superior to its predecessor. If you didn’t enjoy the first one, I think you should still read this one, and if you liked or loved the first book in the series then Crown of Midnight will definitely be in your top ten for the year! Go get your hands on this immediately!





Let me know what you think in the comment section below! 



No comments:

Post a Comment